BBC Sounds: Margins to Mainstream with Michael Sheen
In early 2022, we created a 10-part podcast series for BBC Sounds hosted by Michael Sheen introducing new writers from under-represented backgrounds. Organised a special theatre performance where Michael and a host of other actors performed the pieces to a live audience. And saw the series go Stateside.
To create a platform for the work of writers from underrepresented backgrounds
Organise a celebratory live performance where actors performed the work of the writers to a live audience
- Create a special piece of content which BBC Radio Wales could use as their lead for St. David’s Day 2022.
BBC Sounds episodes
underrepresented voices platformed
guests at live event at Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
podcast for BBC in America
A Writing Chance is a scheme seeking fresh perspectives and great stories from people whose voices have historically not been heard in publishing and the media. Our podcast turns the volume up on their voices.
- Michael Sheen came to us with a challenge. To create a podcast series around his brilliant A Writing Chance scheme.
- We came up with Margins to Mainstream with Michael Sheen and secured a commission from BBC Sounds to publish and promote the series.
- Our team interviewed the writers and their mentors- including writers such as the Red Riding Trilogy novelist David Peace, journalists Kevin Maguire, Brian Reade and many more- weaving a scripted narrative around the interviews.
- Recorded the scripts with host Michael Sheen in the BBC studios in Cardiff’s Central Square.
- Organised a full house event where actors including Michael performed live pieces which formed the climax of each episode.
- Worked with BBC to promote the episodes week on week and find an audience for the work.
- Sold the series to BBC America following interest to take the stories Stateside.