Moondance Cancer Initiative
Moondance Cancer Initiative find, fund and fuel brilliant people and brave ideas to make Wales a world leader in cancer survival. The not-for-profit, philanthropically funded organisation aims to accelerate significant and sustained improvement in cancer survival outcomes over the next 10 to 15 years in Wales. We boosted Moondance’s visibility with targeted PR, orchestrated media relations as well as implemented engaging design techniques and film project for profile raising. The idea was to inspire hope among cancer professionals in Wales that better is possible, and this something we continue to work with Moondance on.
Raise awareness of the initiative among the target audience
Establish a clear brand identity and story
OTS across print and online coverage
increase in newsletter
new projects funded
organic growth in social followers
Prior to 2022, Moondance Cancer Initiative was not widely known with its target audience, having only been set up in 2019, despite having £25m to fund improvements in cancer care. Moondance lacked clear identity or description of themselves. Without understanding how to define themselves, how could they explain to others? We therefore knew that one of our first roles was to help develop Moondance’s narrative.
- Wales didn’t have a cancer awards. We changed that. The Moondance Cancer Awards celebrated brilliant people across NHS Wales and its partners who maintained and innovated cancer services during the pandemic. MCI wanted to both thank people who worked tirelessly across all stages of cancer detection, diagnosis and treatment pathways and inspire tomorrow’s solutions for survival.
- Brilliant people. Brave ideas. To inspire hope we wanted to showcase the innovators working to make Wales a world leader in cancer survival. Enter Pioneer Profiles: a monthly Twitter thread, using a graphic storytelling magazine-style format, spotlighting the people behind Moondance-supported projects, positioning Moondance as the enabler for positive change.
- Launched on the back of the momentum from the Moondance Cancer Awards, the funding call had the opportunity to reach that all important audience we’d been teeing up for the first half of the year. Creating clear messaging and stakeholder packs – including social assets/copy/guidance on how to apply for funding, we then engaged in an outreach mission to work with NHS teams and health boards across Wales to get the message to the right place.
- As of May 2023, there are 24 active projects being funded by the organisation across Wales, up from 14 in May 2022. This is through increased exposure of MCI and what they do, and building up important relationships with key stakeholders.
- We continue to work with Moondance Cancer Initiative on spotlighting brilliant people and brave ideas to improve cancer outcomes in Wales.